August 21, 2010

Haloumi, pumpkin & rocket salad


You might have noticed that I've been making a lot of different salads lately. Well this trend is here to stay for at least a bit longer because I am absolutely loving the colours and the flavours of these salads! I'm a huge fan of cheese, and haloumi (along with feta cheese) is one of my all time favourites. Pumpkin is just gorgeous in salads, and instead of roasting you can just slice them up really thinly and place them on the grill for a few minutes. So tasty!

I usually find the rocket (arugula) a bit too peppery, but it really compliments the flavours in this salad and is beautiful with the salty haloumi and the mustard dressing. Pine nuts, seeds or other nuts are almost a must addition to every salad as they provide the lovely crunch and some extra protein.


Haloumi, pumpkin and rocket salad
(Recipe adapted from the Australian Good Food Magazine)

500g pumpkin, peeled, thinly sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
270g haloumi, cut into slices
a few big handfuls of rocket
40g pine nuts, toasted

Dressing

1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp olive oil

Place pumpkin and haloumi slices in a bowl, add olive oil and turn to coat. Preheat a grill pan, cook the pumpkin for 3-5 minutes, and the haloumi for 2 minutes or until soft. To make the dressing, combine vinegar and mustard and gradually whisk in the oil. Toss rocket leaves with the dressing and place on a serving plate. Top with haloumi, pumpkin and pine nuts.

12 comments:

  1. oh yum. that looks and sounds like a lovely and healthy salad to make. i gotta get myself a grill pan for xmas so i can achieve those nice grill marks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, yes, walnuts would be great to use as well! And the colours are definitely heralding in spring =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum love the look of this salad maria! i love haloumi and pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haloumi is the best! I love the flavour and the texture

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dish, it goes really well as a side dish too on the table. the cheeses are my favourite too

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad looks super! Love the grilled pumpkin, would not have thought of doing it on the grill. Also adore your blog - so glad to have discovered it! Will definitely be stopping by again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying all your salads Maria - such lovely colours. I wouldn't have thought to grill slices of pumpkin like that (although I do it for zucchini and eggplant) - does it cook right through or does it still have a bit of a crunch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your lovely comments! I really appreciate it!

    Sarah: If you cut the pumpkin into thin slices they'll be very soft so if you prefer a bit of crunch I'd leave them a bit thicker :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, I'm a haloumi cheese addict. Unfortunately, I can't get it in Spain though so have to substitute with provolone. Not the same, but the nearest I can get sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria, I'm a big salad fan as well - especially now that the weather seems to have turned for the better - and err - swimsuit season is around the corner. I'll surely come back to your blog more often for salad ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks great i could totally have this for lunch everyday :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this looks like one to remember for the summer.

    Why are pine nuts so delicious AND so expensive?

    ReplyDelete