October 27, 2010

Chocolate Spelt Loaf


I've been working from home this week mending my sore back. Sitting down and vacuuming seem to be the worst (and I'm not making this up!), but standing doesn't hurt so at least I've still been able to go about my daily chores. Thankfully standing next to the stove doesn't hurt either!

I felt like baking a nice treat for my partner and I, and this chocolate spelt loaf is what I created. It is still a healthy treat, there is no oil or butter used to make this, and if you wish, you can even substitute sugar with raw honey. Sometimes a little treat goes a long way :-) If only chocolate could mend broken backs as well!


Chocolate Spelt Loaf

1 1/2 cups organic white spelt flour
1/4 cup unsweetened, pure cacao powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup natural muscovado sugar
3/4 cup organic, unsweetened apple sauce
3 large free-range eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 cup low fat milk
1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
20g dark, 70% chocolate, chopped

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cacao, baking powder, bicarb and muscovado. Mix until well combined. Add the apple sauce, eggs and milk and mix well to combine. Finally fold in the walnuts and the chocolate and pour into a prepared loaf tin. Bake in 170C for about 45-50 minutes.

Indulge.


Print