November 24, 2010

Black Bean Spaghetti with Edamame and Creamy Tofu Sauce


Remember the black bean spaghetti dish I posted a couple of weeks ago? Well I'm on it again and this time paired it with some Japanese flavours. Tofu is such a versatile ingredient: steamed, fried, grilled, cold or hot, it is perfect in both savoury and sweet dishes. It also makes great creamy sauces, like the mayonnaise I made for the protein salad and this creamy pasta sauce!

Edamame is also something I always seem to have in the freezer, it is great for salads and makes delicious soups, but also pairs perfectly in dishes that you want to make totally vegetarian but desire a little bit of extra protein. Healthy as, not to mention delicious! ;-)


Black Bean Spaghetti with Edamame and Creamy Tofu Sauce

200g dry black bean spaghetti

300g silken tofu
1 tbsp shiro miso
1 tbsp brown rice vinegar
small piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp sesame oil
sprinkling of shichimi togarashi

450g bag frozen edamame
2 shallots, finely chopped

extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt

Cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to the packet instructions (about 8 minutes or until 'al dente'). Drain and place in a large bowl.

Steam the tofu for a few minutes in a steamer. Place in a food processor along with miso, brown rice vinegar, ginger and sesame oil. Process until smooth. Season with some shichimi togarashi.

Cook the edamame in boiling water until tender (a few minutes). Drain and cool enough to handle. Shell the beans.

Pour the tofu sauce on the spaghetti and toss well to combine. Toss in the edamame and the shallots and add a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice and a sprinkling of salt (to your taste). Toss to combine and serve warm.

Enjoy!

Print

23 comments:

  1. Yum, yum & yum. Loving the beautiful cup

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the new blog banner :)
    u always have the most creative/healthy recipes around...i can imagine making this soon...once i get a food processor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a really odd question Maria and I hope you don't mind me asking you. Every Finnish person that I know really likes and uses tofu a lot. Is it a common Finnish ingredient? I thought that it was an Asian item but perhaps there's something similar in Finnish cuisine? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make healthy food look fashionable! ;) I need to come live with you, I always truggle for healthy ideas that arn't 'boring'. =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. just discovered your blog and love it. thanks for the great healthy food ideas and the regular updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's rare to find a creamy Asian dish but this one sounds absolutely delicious! Love that you used tofu to cream it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tofu and the black bean spaghetti sounds intriguing... bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beans are definitely a very good source of proteins for vegetarians. And this looks like a good way to serve it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fun & unique twist on pasta. Gotta try :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great Asian twist to pasta. The colors are so Zen, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always have that edamame in my freezer too! and have never seen black bean spaghetti :O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your comments! Really happy you're liking the idea for this dish! :-)

    Lorraine: I think tofu has become more common in Finland only in recent years. Last time I visited it was still hideously expensive (this is up in the North though), but I think Finns are definitely embracing tofu as another healthy, delicious ingredient! :-)

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your recipe, I am just learning to cook with tofu and appreciate all the help I am finding and getting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man. What's amazing about you is that you pull all these unique, interesting and delicious recipes seemingly out of your butt! I mean, you make up the best stuff! I would love to use tofu as a sauce, never even considered that before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post and delicious recipe. You make eating tofu ever so chic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Maria! Perhaps I just know very healthy Finns! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great recipe. I have always wondered what edamame was - will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i really love this recipe and the pictures are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i like the sounds of creamy tofu sauce your recipes are outstanding maria you should start a cookbook :O)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fabulous dish, those colours may be offputting to some (crazy wacko nutjob people ;) ) but it just says awesome to me. Really great flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The creamy tofu sauce sounds so flavorful! I would love to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to try black bean spaghetti. I need to. I need to.

    ReplyDelete