November 02, 2010

Black Bean Spaghetti with Roasted Pumpkin, Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta


You may have noticed that I have a thing for trying new ingredients in my cooking and for trying old ingredients in a new way. Sometimes they can be a bit 'alternative' (as you may recall the case of Chocolate Tagliatelle or the Whipped Berry Rye Porridge), and sometimes not so out of the ordinary - just ingredients I haven't experimented before. I also have a thing for re-making old favourites with a healthier twist. This pasta dish is one of those experiments!

I am all for trying different alternatives to ordinary pasta (as I'm not a big fan of it), and there are definitely many options available! To name a few, there's brown rice pasta, gluten-free pasta, quinoa pasta... and black bean pasta! Have you ever tried black bean pasta? I was quite excited to find organic black bean spaghetti in my local super market and couldn't wait to try it out. Turns out it is filled with protein (as you would expect) and it is also really tasty! This will no doubt be my new favourite as a pasta-alternative!

I am so excited about this recipe and it is not hard to guess why. It has so many ingredients I really love: roasted pumpkin, lemon, pine nuts and of course feta cheese which I seem to have a "I will never get tired of eating feta"-relationship with. So next time you go shopping for pasta, have a go at the black bean spaghetti, I promise you won't be disappointed!


Black Bean Spaghetti with Roasted Pumpkin, Tomatoes, Spinach and Feta

300-400g pumpkin, cut into small chunks
1 punnet (200g) cherry tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
sea salt
black pepper
dried rosemary

200g black bean spaghetti
pinch of sea salt
1 tbs olive oil

2 big handfuls baby spinach, washed
150g reduced fat feta cheese
a few tablespoons pine nut kernels, toasted

1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
100ml extra virgin olive oil
black pepper, extra

Preheat oven to 180C. Place the pumpkin, tomatoes and garlic on a roasting tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and rosemary. Toss to coat. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin is just cooked through (you can take the tomatoes out earlier if they look like they're getting too soft). Leave to cool slightly.

Cook the black bean spaghetti according to the packet instructions (6-8 minutes in a boiling water with pinch of sea salt and olive oil). Drain and place in a large bowl. Add the spinach and toss well. Add the pumpkin and the tomatoes and fold to combine.

To make the vinaigrette, combine the olive oil, half of the lemon juice and the lemon zest in a bowl and whisk to combine. Season with black pepper. Drizzle the salad dressing on the dish and fold to combine.
Crumble the feta cheese on top, sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve warm.

Enjoy!

Print

9 comments:

  1. I'll definitely keep an eye out for black bean pasta, it looks so intriguing. It looks great with the pumpkin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black bean pasta! Now I've seen everything ... unless of course you find something new! For a second I thought you made the pasta from scratch. Lovely combo Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks refreshing with loads of veggies and healthy foods in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, can't wait to get my hands on black bean spaghetti! Love the discoveries you're making, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not come across it before but will definitely be on the lookout now (I'm also a fan of non-standard "pastas" as my tummy is not very good at dealing with carbs for dinner). Oh you're the queen of tasty healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black bean spaghetti sounds fantastic! I love all the different flavors and textures in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am curious about the flavor of the black bean spaghetti. I bet it tastes great with the pumpkin. What an interesting recipe and a unique combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how interesting! I've never seen black bean pasta before, maybe it's because I wasn't looking hard enough in the first place. I do love it when I spot cool products/ingredients on my food shopping adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, you will find something new! I thought for half of your pasta, delicious pumpkin scratch.I bet. What an interesting combination of formula and the unique taste! I do like vegetables and healthy recipes.

    organic food delivered

    ReplyDelete