November 18, 2010

Spiced Almond and Rhubarb Muffins


My thoughts have been on the upcoming Christmas for quite a while now, probably ever since the last Christmas, to be exact! There is nothing like a white Christmas and to me it's the only Christmas I know, so you can probably imagine how weird it is for me to think Christmas whilst in the middle of the Australian summer.

I don't think it has quite hit me yet, probably for this above mentioned reason, that in a few weeks time I'll be in the Winter Wonderland, up at the Arctic Circle. There is a lot to do and a lot to see before we get there, however, so for now I'm trying to find a teeny bit of Christmas spirit in a way of these spiced muffins. It is the spices I've used in these muffins that make me think of Christmas, and I've poached the rhubarb in one of the stunningly fragrant teas I received from Swedelicious Tea. Christmas is getting closer, one muffin at a time!


Spiced Almond and Rhubarb Muffins
(Makes 12 small muffins)

1 cup water
2 tsp Swedelicious Rudolf Tea
250g rhubarb, cut into chunks
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
1 tbsp manuka honey blend

2 cups almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
3 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup organic, unsweetened apple puree
1 tbsp agave nectar

Preheat oven to 175C and prepare a muffin tray.

In a medium saucepan, bring the water to boil, turn off the heat, and add the tea. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes then drain keeping the tea. Return the tea into the saucepan, add the rhubarb, vanilla and honey and bring to boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the rhubarb has softened.
Drain (keep the liquid and drink or use elsewhere, it's really lovely!) and leave to cool.

Mix the almond meal, baking powder and spices in a bowl. In another bowl whisk the eggs, add in the apple puree and the agave nectar and stir to mix. Pour the egg mixture into the almond mixture and stir to combine. Spoon the batter into the muffin tray and spoon some of the rhubarb on top of each one. Press gently with a spoon to 'sink' the rhubarb. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly on a wired rack and serve warm with a cup of tea.
Print

12 comments:

  1. I had my first rhubarb pastry earlier this week at Bourke Street Bakery. Now I know why there are so many pastries made with this... Will definitely be looking for rhubarb here... And this will be on the to do list :)

    Ooh.. You have a new look! Very clean and fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look beautiful! The addition of tea is intriguing too, I'll have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. rhubarb is one of my favourites in cakes and pastries. This looks lovely and I like the idea of poaching in a scented tea. What is the role of the agave nectar in the ingredients (and I could I use another sweetener)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments girls!

    Sarah: I've used agave to give it a bit of sweetness. You could use any other sweetener instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love some of these tea flavored muffins for my tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, minus 35 degrees as opposed to 35 degrees. I know which I would choose! Gorgeous photo's Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe the year is almost over! I'd love to experience a white Christmas just once in my life... the hot Christmas' here is too hot for my liking ;)
    I've only ever cooked with rhubarb once before, might have to go get some now =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a white Christmas. It snowed last year in Holland and it was fantastic but nothing beats the Arctic Circle!
    You know, I have never eaten rhubarb in my life (yes, I'm from this planet) but those muffins look amazing!
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, there's nothing as beautiful as a white Christmas! The muffins look wonderful, love the spice mixture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These muffins are beautiful! And I agree, I get hopeful for a white Christmas every year... although in Kansas, the weather and temperatures are so unpredictable every year, so we're not always so lucky. Last Christmas was an especially hard and cold winter, so we had a white Christmas, and I was quite excited! Thank you, now I am super excited for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound like the perfect muffins to start a Christmas morning! I might use cranberries in a similar way on top, since they're in season for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your muffin recipe today, why don't more people bake with rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete