December 01, 2010

Spiced Sweet Potato and Hazelnut Bread

It's the first of December! This day has always marked a special day for me as it is time to open the first window on an Advent calendar. As a child my brother and I used to have calendars with pictures on them and when we were a little older we had Advent calendars with small chocolates hidden behind the windows. My brother would tease me by opening all the windows in his calendar at once and eat all the chocolates and then threaten to open mine too (I know, what a horrible horrible brother ;-)). I, on the other hand, was so dedicated to my Advent calendar that I would not even consider opening more than one window at a time until all 24 windows were opened and it was finally Christmas Eve.


I have had an Advent calendar every single year as long as I can remember, and although those chocolate calendars are long gone, I am still so excited to continue with this tradition. Last year I bought a super cool Foodie calendar which I'm thinking of re-using from now on. This is the calendar for all you foodies out there, just check it out!

So to mark this special day (and the first day of Summer here in Australia), I baked this spiced sweet potato and hazelnut bread. Yes, it is delicious and will definitely be up there with my the other favourite of mine, the avocado and walnut bread! I've roasted the sweet potato to get more flavour, and the hazelnuts together with the spices are just screaming of CHRISTMAS!


Spiced Sweet Potato and Hazelnut Bread

450g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
1 tbsp olive oil

2 large free-range eggs
1/2 cup natural muscovado sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp walnut oil
1 1/2 cups organic, whole spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup hazelnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 200C. Place the sweet potato on a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool and mash to a puree.

Combine the flour, baking powder and spices in a bowl. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar and the oils until pale (for a few minutes). Add the sweet potato puree and beat until mixed. Add the flour mixture and fold to combine. Lastly fold in the hazelnuts. Pour the mixture into a prepared loaf tin and bake in 180C for about 50 minutes. Cool on a wired rack and enjoy with a cup of steaming coffee or tea.

Happy 1st of December!

Print

14 comments:

  1. I love the memories of the advent calender! I wish I had one this year...so much that perhaps I might go to find one tomorrow as it will be just the 1st of December here...They should make an adult one...with 90% dark chocolate...mmmm

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly, I wish for some summer sun to warm me up in this cold wintery days :)...and it is not officially winter yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread sound delicious. I haven't made bread in a while, but with it getting even colder out as of late, it might be a good time to start baking bread again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it the first day of summer? Doesn't feel like it! Luckily your bread would brighten anyone's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the texture and color looks similar to the Banana & walnut cake I posted on my site today. Love the sweet potato you have used in this delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherilyn Palmer1 December 2010 20:26

    This looks delicious and is on my list. Also love your new banner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous flavorful bread!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing this post makes me so happy that I have a container full of hazelnuts that I need to use! Delicious. And it also makes me think that I really need to invest in an Advent calendar...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful bread recipe. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love sweet potato in breads...this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sweet potatoes and hazelnuts but never thought about using them for bread. Will definitely be trying this recipe - do you think cardamom would go well with it? My boyfriend has had a real hankering for the spice lately, it reminds him of his Swedish grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good! What a fabulous flavour combination. How I'd love some of this with a cup of tea. Great for a cold day like today.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made a sweet potato bundt cake once and it was so good. I'm dying to try out your recipe. you always make yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a stunning holiday recipe! Would you like to submit it to my contest to win a cookbook? Just wanting to share the holiday cheer (and exposure to your blog) Would love for you to win :) http://ow.ly/3j61M

    ReplyDelete