November 25, 2011

Cauliflower curry


I have no patience when it comes to sharing delicious recipes here on the blog. Some might argue I have no patience in other areas of life either, but that's another story. Whether I come up with a recipe or come across a recipe that is just too good to hold back, I make a little squeal and get cooking. Some recipes need a bit more work, while others, like this one, just work straight away. I couldn't wait to share this recipe with you. 

Curries are something I don't do very often. I guess I just never really got into them and was often shunned by their spiciness. This cauliflower variation is (obviously) a mild curry, but you can easily adjust it to your liking. I am so happy to just grab a big bowl and scoop this on its own, but you could of course serve it with some grains, if you wish. 

 

Cauliflower curry
(recipe adapted from the WellBeing Magazine)
(serves 2)

2cm piece of fresh ginger
2 cm piece of fresh turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
4 tablespoons raw almonds
 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
zest of 1 preserved lemon (or fresh lemon)
250ml coconut cream

1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 medium size cauliflower, cut into small florets
50ml coconut cream, extra
 pinch of salt
fresh lemon juice 

fresh coriander, to serve*

* I don't (yet) have fresh coriander growing in my garden so I used shiso leaves instead. They worked surprisingly well with the flavours!

1. Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and purée into a smooth mixture. Set aside.

2. Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and add the green onions and the cauliflower florets. Cook for a couple of minutes, then stir in the spiced sauce. Turn down the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes, adding extra coconut cream (or water) if needed. 

3. Cook the cauliflower until just tender, but with a little bit of bite. Turn off the heat and season the dish with a pinch of salt and some fresh lemon juice, if you like. Serve with fresh coriander and with lentils or rice, if you wish.

25 comments:

  1. love the ingredients used :-) delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dish I'd love to eat! Cauliflower and curry go so well together.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo I love Cauliflower, my mum used to use it in curries when we were kids! Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice way to elevate the humble cauliflower to a complete different level.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know what it is, but even the curries on your blog have that special touch of yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting idea to blend the almonds into a sauce. And the preserved lemon, too; this sounds like a good combination that would fit with cauliflower really well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A curry is so perfect for the rainy weather we are having right now!! I LOOOOVE curries and wanted to make a chicken curry this weekend but Panu feels like pasta instead *urgh*. Well, SOON i will make my chicken curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love curries from all nations and usually have them hotter than this. However, the use of preserved lemon and coconut cream make it a very attractive recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this recipe! I'm saving it and making it. And like you, I can't usually hold on and store it for a better time in the future. I end up giving in and making something I like right away. That means this will probably be on our table this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks lovely - plus a good low carb recipe. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds really delicious. I love cauliflower and it's so good for you I eat it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love making gobi. I use ground almonds to thicken the cooking juices, makes everything deliciously sweet and mellow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband loves curry, but like you I'm not too keen on it. Maybe I'll give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple and delicious! I love recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am all over this. Looks SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This curry looks wonderful! Rich and creamy and hearty and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I have a cauliflower in the fridge thats looking a little sad and neglected. Def going to make this :) thanks Maria!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious! The poor cauliflower so often gets passed aside or just popped in a great sauce next to broccoli. I live theis and I can't wait to try it. Oh and please, don't keep those recipes to yourself as they're all so tasty and gorgeous looking!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I would find it hard to make curry without some sugar and lots of salt after all the Asian cooking I do. Yours looks very delicate though and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love cauliflower and I can already imagine curry flavors are soaked into the curry flavor and this must be delish after cooking in coconut cream!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love love LOVE tasty curries! Many thanks for the excellent recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made this today for my vegan/coeliac in-laws with a few tweaks:
    - no cayenne (extra mild for the kidlets)
    - no fresh turmeric (didn't have it)
    - swapped coconut cream for some coconut oil and passata. I realised part way through there was no coconut cream in the house. The passata helped turn it into a sauce and balanced the lack of turmeric.
    We served it with rice and a buckwheat tabbouleh. All in all a delicious meal taking advantage of the beautiful spring sunshine. Thanks for the recipe.
    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for a wonderful tasty recipe! I cook mostly vegetarian recipes and it is great to get some inspiration. Your dishes always look great and fit in well with my current diet (trying sugar-free, grain-free and largely dairy-free, agh!). One note though - I used the rinsed rind of half a preserved lemon and even that was almost too much - maybe start with one quarter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah,

      I make the preserved lemon myself and I've found that it's much sweeter and milder than shop-bought one.

      Maria

      Delete