March 22, 2012

Autumn slaw with tofu mayo


I love autumn! I get so excited to see new produce at the farmers' markets - out with the exotic summer fruit, in with the earthy root vegetables, pumpkins and apples!  There is no better way to celebrate the new season than with a simple dish that embraces fresh ingredients. This autumn slaw with white cabbage, carrots and Brussels sprouts is a perfect example. There is absolutely no need for heavy egg-based mayonnaise, as a home-made tofu mayonnaise will give you all the creaminess and taste you need. Super easy, super fast and super tasty! 

Happy Autumn!

Autumn Slaw with Tofu Mayonnaise
(serves 2)

1/4 white cabbage, thinly sliced or grated
3 small carrots, grated
5-8 Brussels sprouts
2 green shallots, thinly sliced
300g silken tofu
1 tablespoon tamari
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper
(pinch of salt)

1. Peel the outer leaves off the Brussels sprouts. Bring water to boil in a small saucepan and add the sprouts. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then drain off the water and let cool slightly. Thinly slice the sprouts and mix in a large bowl with grated cabbage, carrots and green shallots. 

2. Place tofu, tamari and nutritional yeast in a blender. Season with lime or lemon juice, pepper and a tiny pinch of salt, if necessary. Blend until smooth and silky. Pour the mayonnaise on top of the mixed vegetables and stir well to combine. Leave the slaw for 20-30 minutes for the flavours to develop.

12 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful!
    I was wondering, I gain so much inspiration from your blog, and I am going to embark on a raw food way of living...I remember reading you loved eating raw foods, so perhaps as a suggestion could you let us know some recipes, or a series of your favourite raw foods? I'd LOVE to hear from you as your blog gives me so much inspiration.

    Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh it ooks beuatiful! i love autumn too... autumn and its PUMPKINS! here in itay the season coming is spring, buuuh, I hate hot weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a good vegan coleslaw. Thanks for the recipe! And your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking about going vegan for a month, and this looks like the perfect recipe to get me started! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Willa!

      Thank you, great to hear you're thinking of trying a vegan diet! Please check out my 21-Day Vegan Challenge for more recipe ideas and good luck!

      http://scandifoodie.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/21-day-sugar-free-vegan-challenge-week.html

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  5. A definite improvement on my usual! Love the tofu dressing but also the idea of using brussels sprouts! Interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful as always! thank you!! xo http://freeladydiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know if the dressing keeps in a jar at all? I'm not so experienced in tofu. Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa!

      It will definitely keep for a couple of days.

      Thanks!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  8. Voi ei - aivan ihana herkku :) kiitos muistutuksesta! Tofulla en olekaan koittanut koskaan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Due to health reasons I'm dairy free. My husband is vegetarian so I cut out meat also. I've been meat and dairy free for about 2 years now (on and off with the meat but always regret it). Now because of other health reasons I'm going to cut out eggs and possibly wheat also. Your blog is so beautiful and easy to read. I enjoy hearing about food in season (I'm from WA) and will be trying more and more of the recipes as I introduce more "veganesque" foods to my diet. Thank you. :o)

    ReplyDelete