March 08, 2012

Mostly Raw Kelp Noodle Salad


I've been taking a little break from food this week, doing my partial juice cleanse. Although I haven't exactly indulged lately, it feels good to kind of re-calibrate your body and your relationship to food every now and then. I think it's also important to realise what kind of cleansing suits you best - I am trying to be kind to my body and I don't want to deprive it from all the energy, hence I prefer having one light meal every day during my cleanse. Some people might find it easier to stick to all juices, whilst some others might not find juice cleansing suitable at all. In all dietary preferences, I think it's important to remember bio-individuality - since we are all so different, no one diet can work for everyone.

This mostly raw kelp noodle salad is a perfect light meal to fit in to your cleansing routine or enjoyed even off the cleanse! Kelp noodles are literally only made of kelp (a sea vegetable) and can be eaten raw in salads, stir-fries, hot soups, etc. I've used kelp noodles previously in this recipe. Since the noodles are very mild in taste on their own, they are perfect paired with stronger flavours. Here, I've used red cabbage, peppery white radish, cucumber and green onions and seasoned the dish with some toasted sesame seeds and Bragg's All-Purpose Seasoning and some chilli flakes. You could use any seasonal vegetables instead - carrots, broccoli (preferably raw or very lightly steamed), zucchini or leafy greens would be great. My suggestion is to keep it mostly raw and light, especially if you are cleansing. 

Enjoy! 

Mostly Raw Kelp Noodle Salad
(serves 2)

340g kelp noodles*
small 1/4 red cabbage
10 cm piece white radish
1 cucumber
2 green onions
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons Bragg's all-purpose seasoning (or 1 tablespoon tamari)
1/2 lime, juiced
pinch of chilli flakes
freshly ground black pepper

* kelp noodles are available at health food stores

 1. Rinse the noodles under warm water and place in a large mixing bowl. 

2. Thinly slice red cabbage, peel and thinly slice white radish. Remove the seeds from the cucumber and thinly slice that too. Chop the green onions finely. 

3. Toast the sesame seeds on a small pan until just browned. Combine all ingredients with the noodles and season the salad with Bragg's, chilli and pepper.
 

13 comments:

  1. That salad is so light and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good to me even if you are not on a cleanse routine. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so light and refreshing! I've been adding sesame seeds to all my salads lately - adds such a lovely nuttiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So colorful and fresh. Wish I could find these kelp noodles here in India.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG looks sooo good, I'm going to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tailoring a cleanse for your body is so important - I know I don't do well with all juice and need a little more sustenance, too. Your salad is a great add on, so light but nourishing, and is one of my favorite kinds of salads - meals, actually: the asian influence, crunch of the cucumber and cabbage paired with the slippery noodles, and the salty tang of Bragg's. I would love a little squeeze of lime in this, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for reminding me to add the lime juice in the recipe, I actually used it in this salad but it had slipped out of the final recipe!

      Maria
      x

      Delete
  7. Looks and sounds delicious.
    Cleansing is wonderful and as you know I am a real lover of this ritual too.
    I completed a six week stint a little while ago, and am looking forward to kicking it up a notch for my next round in late Spring. Got myself a good juicer (had to leave my lovely Breville behind in Sydney when we moved) and am so keen to try a juice cleanse.
    I would love it if you shared your juices and the key benefits of their ingredients!

    Happy cleansing and hope the side effects aren't too bad.

    x Charlotta

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so perfect for a nice warm day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria,

    Would you be able to tell me where you bought the kelp noodles? I live in Sydney also and would absolutely love to make this - it looks delicious!

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alissa,

    I buy mine at Taste Organic in Crows Nest. I think About Life (in Rozelle and Bondi) sell them as well!

    Thanks!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Charlotta!

    Thank you! I have share some of my juice recipes in this post


    http://scandifoodie.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/juicing-and-cleansing.html

    Perhaps I need to do another post soon, there is just so much to say about green juices!

    Thanks!

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wanting to make this since you posted it but couldn't find Kelp noodles anywhere in Ottawa! now I've moved to Reykjavik and they have them at the grocery store!! yayyy

    ReplyDelete