May 24, 2012

Fennel and Persimmon Salad with Buckwheat-Sesame Sprinkle


First of all, THANK YOU for all the amazing responses on my previous post! I am overwhelmed and incredibly inspired by all your comments. It's really great to see so many of you interested in ridding sugar out of your lives and it's also good to know that so many of you acknowledge sugar addiction is something you'd like to work on. Well done all of you!

I've been wrapping up a few last minute photo shoots at work this week, borrowing and returning props, typing product details and making sure I haven't missed anything amongst all the craziness. Our luggage for the trip are still empty, but I've managed to pile the suitcases with gifts that I've been buying here and there during the past weeks. I love buying gifts and I do my best to bring something for everyone, even if it's just a small token. 

It hasn't quite hit me yet that we are actually leaving - this Sunday - . Time has really flown, especially during the past few months (can you believe it's almost June?!), but I am so happy to go home. I haven't seen my parents in one and a half years and I haven't seen my brother in well over three years! That's a really long time. I miss them all so much and I really just want to give them all a big hug.  

This salad is a little bit of celebration for our upcoming trip. There is a lot going on on this plate: so many flavours, colours and textures, but they all work well together. I adore the sweet fennel and persimmon, the gorgeous ruby pomegranate arils and the crunchy buckwheat-sesame sprinkle. A truly enjoyable salad! 

 

Fennel and Persimmon Salad with Buckwheat-Sesame Sprinkle
(serves 2)

1 small fennel bulb
2 small persimmons, peeled
1/2 pomegranate
1/2 bunch kale
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons raw buckwheat
1 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt, to taste

1. Finely slice fennel and persimmons and toss in a big bowl. Add arils of half a pomegranate and coarsely slice about 5-6 kale leaves, tossing them in as well. 

2. Add apple cider vinegar and olive oil.

3. In a dry pan, toast buckwheat, sesame seeds, cumin and salt for a few minutes or until evenly browned. Sprinkle the mixture on top of the salad and toss well to combine. Serve immediately.

8 comments:

  1. This looks heavenly! I want to be eating this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm what an excellent recipe! I love this combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous salad! Love the idea of adding buckwheat to it. I hope you have a great trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous plate, full of color and flavor! It's almost like I can sense your excitement for your trip in this salad. Have a wonderful visit home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UNBELIEVABLE!! I was actually standing in the kitchen the other night with a fennel bulb in my hand thinking it would go nicely with persimmon! (I went with apple, in the end ... had to savour the persimmons alllllll on their own :) )

    Happy Travels!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely beautiful salad. A few ingredients difficult for me to get, but well worth the effort!

    Will be holding fingers and toes crossed you have a wonderful time home - much love and laughter and happy landings :) !

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! Such a wonderful combo of colors & flavors. I didn't know you could eat buckwheat raw. I am going to put this on my menu for next week. P.s. Pinned ya..... ;)

    ReplyDelete