September 03, 2012

Marzipan Horns



It was a weekend of social gatherings and celebrations. On Saturday I met up with a bunch of fellow Finns for a brunch. It was my first time participating in one of these Finnish meet ups and I have to say I am feeling pretty silly for not doing so any earlier. It was a fun afternoon and it felt really nice connecting with other Finns in Sydney.

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day and had invited my husband's parents over for lunch and afternoon tea. Suitably, I baked these marzipan filled horns for my German father-in-law who seemed quite pleased with the texture and flavour of them. Father-in-law approved!

Marzipan Horns 
(Recipe from pirkka.fi)

450g-500g plain flour
11g dry yeast
250ml milk
1 egg yolk
80g raw caster sugar
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
100ml melted butter

100g almond meal
180g icing sugar
1 egg white

+ 1 egg for brushing
almond flakes, for topping

1. Warm up the milk to about 42 C. Combine yeast with a little bit of flour and stir in to the milk. Add egg yolk, sugar, cardamom and salt and stir well to combine. Add cool, melted butter and the flour bit by bit, stirring and kneading until you have a dough that is soft and won't stick to your hand. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for about 30 minutes.

2. Prepare the filling by combining almond meal, icing sugar and one egg white. Mix into a smooth dough and divide into 16 equal-sized portions. Set aside and cover with a towel or some cling wrap to prevent drying.

3. Cut the dough in two and roll each portion into a large (30cm) round disk. Cut each disk in to 8 equal-sized triangles. Take a portion of marzipan, roll it into a small bar and place on the broad end of the triangle. Roll the triangle up and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Continue with the rest of dough, then cover the baking sheet with tea towels and leave to rise for about 30-45 minutes.

4. Preheat the oven to 200C. Brush the pastry with egg and sprinkle with almond flakes. Bake for about 12 minutes or until the top and the bottom are browned. Leave to cool on a wire rack, covered with a tea towel. Enjoy warm. These will keep in the freezer for a good couple of months, just remember to use thick freezer bags to prevent drying.

10 comments:

  1. All I have to do is pick up some milk and I can make these. I have been looking for a recipe to use my almond paste in. I already have it mixed with the egg and sugar ready to go. These look amazing I can only imagine how good they taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look impressive. They look like they're bought from a fancy bakery! Maybe I will impress my father in law with something like this for breakfast too. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehehe congrats on the FIL approval :) everything you bake looks perfect anyway so I'm sure it was delicious. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They definitely look approval-worthy! So neat and delicious looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I think this will be a project for next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That plate brings me memories from the childhood. What a lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look awesome. Must make these one day!

    ReplyDelete